Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mayday, mayday, we're going down!

Q: I suffer from a high degree of self loathing.

At the moment I am trying to boost my self esteem by reciting positive affirmations, such as, 'I am a wonderful, loveable person'. Unfortunately, I don't always remember to do it often enough, and I'm not getting the improvment in self esteem I'm after.

I really hate myself for letting myself down in this way and screwing yet another thing up. What should I do?

A: It sounds like you're in a highly inevitable and self-perpetuating downward spiral.

We call this a downward spiral as a metaphor for a plane falling from the sky, out of control and plummetting to the ground. Such a spin is very hard for a pilot to pull out of, and the more the spiral continues, the harder it is to avoid a full, clataclysmic and devastating impact with the ground.

To get out of this, you will have to do more than meditate or tell yourself everyone loves you. You need to do something drastic to shake your mind from it's natural patterns.

Electrotherapy is one option and you can do this at home if you have a 110 volt power plug (avoid the 240V, as it can often throw you across the room, causing injury -- although in your case that might help, should you survive it).

Try biting off a rat's head while watching yourself in the mirror. Do it naked. The image will burn itself in your mind and will certainly change your outlook permanently. Granted, the effect of this treatment could just as easily be harmful as beneficial, not to mention the hygeine issues involved with swallowing rats' blood.

This is something that psychologists won't mention, but, in my experience, self-loathing is often accompanied by extreme external loathing also. Do other people like you? It's possible that you are actually an unlikeable person, and your self-hated is completely justified. In this case, there's not much you can do except resign yourself to this notion and live with it.

The outlook is grim, Captain, but I hope you can be one of the tiny percentage of airmen who can pilot themselves out of such a deep downward spiral.

0 comments:

About Harv

A genius in almost every way, Harv is qualified to answer questions on any topic with 100% accuracy. If you want to know how, check out Harv's complete profile!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP